What is Novec 1230 fluid?
Novec 1230 fluid is a fluoroketone – a proprietary 3M technology that offers a number of important advantages over conventional halon replacements.
How does it work?
Extinguishing via its cooling effect, Novec 1230 fluid works as a gas, yet it is a liquid at room temperature. Because it is not packaged under pressure, Novec 1230 fluid has unique shipping and handling advantages over high pressure alternatives. Also, systems using Novec 1230 fluid allow for more efficient use of space compared to inert gas systems.
Where is Novec 1230 fluid used?
Novec 1230 fluid is a highly efficient fire extinguishant that can be used for flooding applications in engineered and pre-engineered systems.
It is ideal for special hazards: spaces where the continuous operation of high-value equipment is paramount. Examples include: telecommunication switch rooms, computer and electronic control rooms, hazards aboard ships and critical military applications such as vehicle engine and crew bay protection. It is also ideal for environments such as libraries, cultural facilities, storage rooms, archives and museums, where valuable items must not be damaged by a fire extinguishing agent.
What sets it apart?
- Novec 1230 fluid has zero ozone depletion potential and the lowest atmospheric lifetime for chemical clean agent alternatives: 5 days. The next closest halon alternative is 29 years.
- Novec 1230 fluid has a Global Warming Potential of 1, which is 99.9% lower than any halocarbon agent acceptable for use in occupied spaces.
- Novec 1230 fluid has the largest margin of safety among chemical clean agents for use in occupied spaces.
- It makes good business sense to use Novec 1230 fluid because it is a sustainable, long-term technology. Not only does Novec 1230 fluid meet today’s regulations but it also meets those of the foreseeable future.
Since its introduction to the fire suppression market in 2002, 3M™ Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid has distinguished itself as the sustainable halon replacement, designed to alleviate concerns for human safety, performance and the environment. Unlike earlier generation halons and HFCs, Novec 1230 fluid has the key features defining sustainable clean agent protection:
- Zero ozone depletion potential
- Five-day atmospheric lifetime
- A global warming potential of one
- A large margin of safety for occupied spaces
Novec 1230 fluid was created for life: for the life of your people, to help keep them safe from fire and chemical hazards; for the life of your equipment, to effectively protect it from fire; and for the life of your system, so it not only meets today’s environmental regulations but those of the foreseeable future.
Contact us today for more information about why you should choose United Fire Protection Corporation to be your Fire Protection Company.